National Executive Committee
National Democratic Congress
Women in Law and Development in Africa (WiLDAF) Ghana is following the constitutional processes to appoint a new Vice President to support the new President HE John Dramani Mahama. We have also received information on a list of names which has only one woman. We have the conviction that the effort of the Late President Atta Mills to getting a Law passed on Affirmative Action to increase women’s greater participation and representation in political decision making bodies in Ghana can be achieved even upon his death. We are also convinced that giving the chance the late President would have appointed a woman as his Vice in line with his vision to have at least 40% women in political decision making structures.
We are therefore calling on the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the National Democratic Congress to honour the late President by nominating a woman as the Vice President to H.E. John Dramani Mahama. We are therefore urging the party to foremost consider the worth proven women in the NDC.
We are by this letter proposing the following women as possible candidates for the position of Vice President to Mr. John Mahama:
1. Hon. Hannah Tetteh – Minister for Trade and Industry.
2. Hon. Akua Sena Dansua – Minister for Tourism
3. Margaret Amoako-Nuamah – Former Minister of Education under Former President Rawlings
4. Madam Faustina Nelson – Former Executive Member of the NDC
5. Hon. Juliana Azumah Mensah – Minister for Women and Children’s Affairs
6. Hon. Sherry Ayittey – Minister of Science and Environment
7. Bertha Ansah Gyan – Executive Director, MASLOC
8. Hon. Brookman Amissah – Former Minister of Health under Former President Rawlings
We are convinced again that there are other equally qualified women who are members of the NDC who can be considered apart from the unexhausted list of women mentioned in this letter.
We once again express the deepest condolences of Network Members, National Executive Committee, Management and Staff of WiLDAF Ghana to the National Democratic Congress on this sad occasion of the demise of H.E. Prof. John Evans Atta Mills.
For any further information please contact the undersigned on 0302 768 349 / 0244639539 or Frank Bodza on 020 9211 931.
National Programme Coordinator
1. General Secretary, NDC
2. National Women’s Organiser, NDC
3. All Media Houses