Tuesday, February 10, 2009

GHANA AND PHONE SCAM?

THORNTON, Colorado, USA - Peaceful time in front of their television set is a rare commodity these days for the Gonzales family, whose phone rings at all hours of the day and night."I'd say they probably called 50-60 times (since Tuesday)," said Benjamin Gonzales."They" are the calls the couple said they've been getting from Ghana. There have been so many over the last several days, the Gonzales started keeping a log and notes.The callers want $500."The first story is that they have a consignment package that they needed to get out of the country and then lately they've been calling, sounds like they're sobbing and they're calling me daddy, daddy, help me, help me daddy," said Gonzales.Since the family isn't giving in, the calls have gotten violent. The callers either hang up, or leave voice mail messages. But continue to call.Gonzales played the message to 9 NEWS, it's hard to understand, but a man with an accent is talking and one of the things he said was, "you are a stupid man!""Talking about how they're going to come and kill me, that my wife had given them my number so that they can scam me, they're meeting with her in hotel rooms and having sex with my wife," said Gonzales.Gonzales filed a report with Thornton Police. Officers tell 9NEWS they've heard of scams like this across the country, but not in their city.They say this type of behavior is meant to confuse and intimidate and of course, if you receive a call like that, don't give them any money.So the family relishes the quiet time so many of us may take for granted. That's until the next phone call."It's frustration, there is nothing I can do," Gonzales said.The family is considering changing their phone number, but they really don't want to do that
Source:Anastasiya Bolton

No comments: